Newborn session guide
Scheduling Your Session
Newborn sessions are best if scheduled within the first 14 days, and I typically book them in the mornings. The first 7-10 days is ideal for a nice sleepy baby, so make sure you contact me as soon as you can after your little one is born. I do not typically shoot newborn sessions on weekends, however I do have days set aside during the week for these sessions.
Your newborn session will include 25+ fully edited, high resolution images of your little one delivered on a USB drive. The session will take anywhere from 2-3 hours, depending on how sleepy that sweet baby is. There are no print products included in this package, however you will receive a print release that allows you to print your images wherever you choose. If you would like to order wall art after your session, such as wood, metal or canvas prints, or a book or album, I am very happy to help you do so!
Before You Arrive
- Try to keep your baby awake for at least the hour prior to our session. I know this is hard, but do your best. Our goal is to get a nice deep sleep during your session, which will be more difficult if baby has been asleep all morning.
- Dress your baby in loose fitting clothing that zips or buttons up the middle. Please avoid onesies or clothing that will have to go over baby’s head.
- A baby with a full belly will typically sleep longer and more soundly, so please feed your little one right before leaving for your session, or if you have a long drive you are more than welcome to feed your baby right when you get to your session.
What to Bring
- If you are formula feeding or pumping make sure to bring extra milk and a bottle
- A pacifier for soothing
- Special items you would like photographed with your baby
Parent and Sibling Portraits
I will typically start the session with parent and/or sibling shots if you would like them. I recommend wearing soft, solid neutral colors, preferably lighter grey, tan or cream. Older siblings can wear a light colored shirt to match the gender of the baby, solid neutral colors, jeans and/or dresses for girls. Please avoid busy patterns and graphics.
In order to keep the studio quiet and calm I do ask that there are no extra family members or friends present. Also, if there are siblings coming in for photos with baby its best if arrangements are made for them to be taken, or maybe out for something fun while we continue with the newborn session. A quiet and calm environment is an important factor in creating the types of images you see coming out of my studio.
Session Length & Details
As I mentioned above, please plan on your session being around 2-3 hours. While I use every technique I know to keep baby asleep and our session moving along quickly, ultimately the little one is in charge! We may need to pause for extra feedings, and general soothing many times throughout the session. Please allow enough time in your schedule, and rest assured that I have scheduled plenty of time in my day!
Once you schedule your session with me, we will discuss any colors, props and ideas you have. I have blankets, baskets, hats, headbands, outfits and wraps in a soft and fairly neutral color palate. Let me know if you have any special props or items that you would like to bring to use during your shoot.
If you follow the above instructions on preparing your baby we will mostly likely have a successful shoot. But remember, we are at the mercy of your precious little one, so do not be overwhelmed if your baby is cranky or will not “cooperate.” We will still get many amazing photos that you will cherish for a lifetime.